Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bank1 is the "right" bank on all transverse VQ's. Left and right are determined as if the engine was mounted axially with the crank pulley at the front.
So it’s just bank one and bank two on the 3.5? I was looking at rock auto and they only have left and rights, and I need the one by the firewall

·
Registered
975 Posts
I was looking at rock auto and they only have left and rights, and I need the one by the firewall
Then that would be the "right" side. Think of where it would be if the engine was rotated so the crank pulley was at the front of the car instead of on the passenger side. "Left and right" on an automobile are always referenced as if you're sitting in the driver's seat, so if your engine was rotated to the front, Bank1 would be on your righthand side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then that would be the "right" side. Think of where it would be if the engine was rotated so the crank pulley was at the front of the car instead of on the passenger side. "Left and right" on an automobile are always referenced as if you're sitting in the driver's seat, so if your engine was rotated to the front, Bank1 would be on your righthand side.
Ok perfect thanks!! To they tend to leak oil or just throw codes?

·
Registered
975 Posts
It's actually pretty rare for them to leak unless somebody butchered the o-ring. If you have a leak back there, the valve cover gasket is much more likely. Make sure it's oil and not p/s fluid, too. The p/s pressure hose runs up the back of the engine and has a clamp at the back of the plenum. It will sometimes develop a leak near the clamp and run down the side of the block. If it's throwing codes, post what they are and I'll tell you what I think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Automotive tire Tableware Kitchen appliance Dishware Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Black Vehicle

It's actually pretty rare for them to leak unless somebody butchered the o-ring. If you have a leak back there, the valve cover gasket is much more likely. Make sure it's oil and not p/s fluid, too. The p/s pressure hose runs up the back of the engine and has a clamp at the back of the plenum. It will sometimes develop a leak near the clamp and run down the side of the block. If it's throwing codes, post what they are and I'll tell you what I think.
I changed the power steering pressure line yesterday cause that was leaking also, and I cleaned the whole engine cause I couldn’t see where the leaks were and now I can see the oil coming from somewhere around that back vvt and dripping on the belt and getting everywhere. I’m not getting any codes just leaks

·
Registered
975 Posts
The best way to find a leak like that without being confused by the belt-spatter is UV dye. Since it's leaking pretty bad, put some dye in and run it a few minutes to let the dye to mix, then re-clean the area and run it just long enough to leak. Then let the magic flashlight lead you to the source.

Note that leaks at the base of the rear valve cover will usually run down the side of the engine and down the timing cover, where they can end up contacting the crank pulley shaft and spraying everywhere. So the fact that it's getting onto the belt and pulleys doesn't exclude the valve cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts