Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video of the current issue

Sometimes these three lights will come on while driving along the highway. Seems to be an intermittent issue, although troublesome. Sometimes the key light and the exclamation point light come on as well. Mainly the abs, e-brake, and traction control lights though.
Was considering going over my fuses, and maybe having the codes read at auto zone if possible?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time

·
Registered
178 Posts
Check the brake fluid. If it's lower than halfway between "add" and "full" then it's probably flagging low fluid every time you turn. You'll get exactly what you describe, ABS, slip and brake lamps that come and go all at once.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the brake fluid. If it's lower than halfway between "add" and "full" then it's probably flagging low fluid every time you turn. You'll get exactly what you describe, ABS, slip and brake lamps that come and go all at once.
Wow I didn’t even think of that. Thank you

·
Registered
178 Posts
Get the ABS checked for codes, then. Most parts stores will give you a free scan and most of their scanners will do ABS. The next most likely cause of come-and-go ABS/slip lights is a falsing wheel sensor, not dead enough for a flatline code (which would turn the light on solid), but missing occasional teeth and confusing the ABS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get the ABS checked for codes, then. Most parts stores will give you a free scan and most of their scanners will do ABS. The next most likely cause of come-and-go ABS/slip lights is a falsing wheel sensor, not dead enough for a flatline code (which would turn the light on solid), but missing occasional teeth and confusing the ABS.
Ok, my next steps will be to get the codes read. Or checked. There’s an auto zone down the road from me. I work Sunday so I’ll update on Monday after my visit. I’m leaning towards the sensor route as well based on my current internet research, but I am interested as to what codes are coming up. Thank you for sticking with me 😊

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Had the codes read at auto zone. Looks like it’s the speed sensor. And apparently my battery voltage isn’t right as well. I think the speed sensor is behind the front driver side tire? And I am pretty sure I can order that part online, correct?

·
Registered
178 Posts
That C1109 could have been a false alarm or a leftover from a jumpstart, I wouldn't worry about it unless you erase it and it comes back. Yes, the secondary speed sensor is about halfway up the tranny behind the LF wheel. Kind of a pain squeezing an arm around the subframe to get at it, but not all that difficult. It's a fairly frequent failure, although I'd stop short of calling it chronic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That C1109 could have been a false alarm or a leftover from a jumpstart, I wouldn't worry about it unless you erase it and it comes back. Yes, the secondary speed sensor is about halfway up the tranny behind the LF wheel. Kind of a pain squeezing an arm around the subframe to get at it, but not all that difficult. It's a fairly frequent failure, although I'd stop short of calling it chronic.
alright. I’ll get around to ordering the part and doing the replacement. I’ll update as soon as I can. If I have any other questions I’ll be sure to post them

·
Registered
2 Posts
Video of the current issue

Sometimes these three lights will come on while driving along the highway. Seems to be an intermittent issue, although troublesome. Sometimes the key light and the exclamation point light come on as well. Mainly the abs, e-brake, and traction control lights though.
Was considering going over my fuses, and maybe having the codes read at auto zone if possible?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time
This happened on my 18, with less than 800 miles on it, though with a loud, constant beeping. Was the main brake cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

I downloaded the Haynes repair manual. Apparently there are two speed sensors on the transmission. Primary and secondary. One on the front under the starter, and the secondary on the backside which requires the air intake removal to access. I replaced the secondary, hoping that would solve the issue, took the car for a test drive today and the warning lights have not come back on. If they do, then I’ll replace the primary speed sensor. The trouble code doesn’t necessarily narrow down if the issue is on the transmission or in one of the wheel hubs. At least what I could gather from both the repair manual and talking to the dealership as well.

I’ll update again if the warning lights come back on

·
Registered
178 Posts
The primary will give you a different code and generally the tranny will act up. Wheel sensors don't generally affect it and they'll throw "C" codes in the ABS and not "P" codes. Either kind can cause "no speed signal" codes in other systems, but those will clear once the underlying issue is resolved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts