Nissan Altima Forum banner

Waxing your car

26K views 105 replies 50 participants last post by  sprocketser 
#1 ·
When you wax you car, which wax do you use and why. I know there are a few good choices available today, but for me I am so used to waxing cars with Turtle Wax, is there anything out there that you find to be better?

#2 ·
Wouldn't know cause I never wash my own car. I live down the street from a very nice car wash. Not one of those machine deals but an old school car wash where they come out and detail the whole thing by hand. It isn't too expensive (maybe 15 buck with tip) and they do a better job then me.

#4 ·
Baz said:
Arrghh, you can't use a carwash it will scratch your paintwork, the only way is to do a hand wax job, taking in your time building up the layers. Turtle Wax is a good wax by the way

Carwash - never! :wink:
Unless its a touch-free car wash. I use them all the time.

#10 ·
I was once a student of the three part Meguires system. It really did look good, remove the surface scratches that just seem to appear as time passes, but hand waxing a car three times (once for each product) was starting to get tedious.

Currently I am preaching the from the book of Mother's. Great product that uses very little effort and big results.

#23 ·
Currently I am preaching the from the book of Mother's. Great product that uses very little effort and big results.

I use Mother's products and highly recommend them. I currently use the Mothers Power Polish and Power Wax with my Porter Cable random orbital polisher. Works great! Mothers FX SynWax works fantastic on lighter colors such was Winter Frost on our Altimas.

#11 ·
missywins said:
Wouldn't know cause I never wash my own car. I live down the street from a very nice car wash. Not one of those machine deals but an old school car wash where they come out and detail the whole thing by hand. It isn't too expensive (maybe 15 buck with tip) and they do a better job then me.

I am the same exact way. I tend to be lazy when it comes to the detailing part. I do my rims and that is about it. I have too much to do in the day to spend 2 hours washing my car.

#15 ·
I enjoy washing and waxing my own car. Something about it is relaxing to me. Besides have you ever seen some of the guys working at the car wash. I don't want them to touch my steering wheel let alone sitting in my seat. The rags they use to wipe down the interior are less than clean I know this for sure. I just waxed mine two nights ago and I use Maguiars cleaner wax. In between washes I use my California car duster to keep the dust off my slick and shiny clean finish.

#16 ·
I usually get mine washed and everything when i get my oil changed.
One time they didn't do my entire interior. I was almost late for work and had to bring it back. They said i had to bring it back that day bc i could have dirtied it and gotten a free interior cleaning the next day. The line WASN'T short either. :mad:

#19 ·
Well where I work we don't take shortcuts on cleaning cars, not only do we have one of the best carwashes around we take pride in the people that bring there cars to the wash. We mix all our own chemicals that have been produced by our own in house techs. We have people certified to mix the chemicals properly depending on weather and other factors.

We have softcloth in the wash, but it's to rub our polish in, since just slapping it on a car does nothing. At the exit we use semi wet towels that we use only 2 times before they are washed again. In the detail shop (for interiors and waxes) we use towels that are mixed with cleaners in the washing machine and then put out for use. The same thing applies, 2 cars per towel. Now keep in mind that not all these people are pro trained. so people like us with our nissian altimas get the regular wax guys, but we do ave pro guys that are certified. If you get one of our cleaning packages it's the pros that do the car. We have everything from beat up 1980's fords to 200k sport cars go through our wash. If you guys every want info on the services we offer and stuff, just ask.

#26 ·
WELL it is rather obvious that everbody has a favorite wax. Bottom line is it is a required rub;). I just read in the Nissan Manual that Nissan recommends NOT USING touchless carwashes in that most of them use an acidic soap solution to break the surface tension and adhesion of dirt on the finish. This solution attacks the integrity of the finish over time causing microscopic pitting.

#27 ·
Oh, most people should know not to go through them often. I only do it when my car is FILTHY and i don't have time to wash. Then i'll wax it after i get home from whatever i had to do.

#29 ·
RTKING,
Just how long does it take you to do the full treatment? Sounds like it could easily take a whole weekend to do it right. One of my biggest peaves is the wax it all the crooks and crevises that is hard to get off. I usually use a no buff wax on my super black for that reason.

#30 ·
RTKING,
Just how long does it take you to do the full treatment? Sounds like it could easily take a whole weekend to do it right. One of my biggest peaves is the wax it all the crooks and crevises that is hard to get off. I usually use a no buff wax on my super black for that reason.
It takes me an afternoon including using clay bar on the car. My Murano (as you might expect) takes a bit longer, but the Altima is pretty straightforward and most areas are easy to reach. Having the Porter Cable random orbital polisher helps quite a bit too.

Making the job "easy" is using the right tools. Remember, right tools for the right job. Porter Cable and a couple of pads for polishing and waxing, microfiber towels to remove the polish and the wax. If I took my time, it would take me about 4 hours. If I hurried and skipped the clay bar (which should only be done when the paint's finish feels rough), I could probably do the job in about 2 hours.

BTW, don't leave the wax on for a long time. You want it to haze over, but not dry to the paint. That makes it a pain to remove. That's why you want to wax the car in the shade or in a garage so the panel doesn't get so hot as to dry out the wax. Also, the microfiber towel will help remove dried wax without much effort, and it also does not scratch the paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.