Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Brite Wheel Cleaner for about a good 2 months and have shown great results. It usually costs about $3.00 depending on which store you go to. The only problem I have is that I cant seem to keep the brake dust off of the rim. No matter what wheel cleaner I use it still keeps coming back. Does anyone have a solution to my problem? I have talked to numerous people about what to use and they keep telling me nothing will work.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would recommend having brake covers put on your wheels to stop the dust from getting on the rim. As for cleaning it, I would use Meguiar's hot rims cleaner. It works like Mr.Clean magic eraser, which will also work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I never thought there was a way to keep dust off of them unless you have brake kits such as the brembo big brake kits(over $1000) I use black magic, it works pretty good. I clean my car once a week, so the rims stay pretty clean all the time...

·
Registered
8 Posts
A good way to repel brake dust from rims is to wax your rims in the same way you would wax your car. It sounds odd but it does work. It definitely makes it way easier to clean next time as well without the use of any cleaners. Just wipe them down while your washing the rest of your car( of course making them the last stop ;D).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yea using wax will help because like the guy above me said, the brake dust will literally just whipe right off. Mother's "Mag and Wheel Polish" is what I use on my Altima SE-R rims and it not only helps scrub grime off of the rims (after u wash...) but it will leave a wax-like finish just like a regular car wax would.

You can also buy brake pads that are designed to release the least amount of dust possible, which you might want to look into the next time you have to do your brakes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
New Wheels

I just got a set of Rial Nogaro wheels for my 05 Altima I just wanted to know what was the best thing to keep that shiny lip....well shiny?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read on another forum, that a clay bar will get rid of the brake dust on your rims. I've never tried but you can test it and let us know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Clay barring

It's not sandpaper. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you clay, never use that clay on paint again.
Waxing is okay. Not a long range solution. Heat from the brakes shortens waxes life on rims considerably.
I like using Meguiar's all purpose cleaner at a 10:1 ratio, to clean rims and tires.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, for tough brake dust, get some degreaser and dilute it. I have some in my trunk and forgot the damn name but will post tomorrow. It works like a charm. And wax does help... a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts