Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2012 Nissan Altima and have a check engine light for the transmission speed sensor. I have tried fixing this with no success so I took it to a Nissan dealer and had them look at it and they say that the transmission is overheating and that there is no way to fix it. They said my best bet is to just drive it until it craps out and buy a new car because it’s not worth fixing. That isn’t really an option. So, now I’m looking for a new or used transmission that I can replace it with but not really sure where to look because you hear all of these horror stories about people being sold stuff online that is complete crap.
Does anyone have a recommendation of where to buy a transmission?I live in Phoenix Arizona and would prefer to deal with a real person but will take what I can get. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The most important thing you can do when buying a used CVT is to buy the trans controller (TCM) out of the donor vehicle along with the tranny. That way you can hook it up to your own car prior to installation and see if the JY trans had any codes in it when the donor was scrapped. If it did, you can return it to the JY before it gives you a headache. Same for the fluid condition, you should pop the pan and inspect for heavy metal chips while the trans is still on the pallet. Fine shavings on the pan magnets and slightly brownish fluid that smells of lacquer are normal. Fluid that's dark brown and smells burnt isn't, as are any big metal chips or a lot of chips that are loose in the pan and not stuck to the magnets. There's one other major advantage to getting the TCM along with the trans, it will make the transplant plug-and-play. Reprogramming will be needed if you mate a different trans to your existing TCM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 2012 Nissan Altima and have a check engine light for the transmission speed sensor. I have tried fixing this with no success so I took it to a Nissan dealer and had them look at it and they say that the transmission is overheating and that there is no way to fix it. They said my best bet is to just drive it until it craps out and buy a new car because it’s not worth fixing. That isn’t really an option. So, now I’m looking for a new or used transmission that I can replace it with but not really sure where to look because you hear all of these horror stories about people being sold stuff online that is complete crap.
Does anyone have a recommendation of where to buy a transmission?I live in Phoenix Arizona and would prefer to deal with a real person but will take what I can get. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Look at Car-part.com. a web site that salvage yards use to link with each other.. good luck. But I was told to use nissan fluid only..

·
Registered
7 Posts
That used to be true, but aftermarket fluids have come a long way in the last few years. By way of my customers I can personally vouch for AMSoil and Eneos, they're both outstanding.
@VStar650CL is correct. I have been using the Castrol Transmaxx CVT fluid without issue but I also installed an external cooler to help, since heat is the killer on these CVT's in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am getting code P0500 speed sensor A and also P1574 ASCD VHL speed SEN. I have been thinking about installing an external cooler but just worry about the fluid replacement. Because I’ve got to use the right fluid.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I am getting code P0500 speed sensor A and also P1574 ASCD VHL speed SEN. I have been thinking about installing an external cooler but just worry about the fluid replacement. Because I’ve got to use the right fluid.
Until '13 not all of them had integral heat exchangers in the radiator. You should check if there are 4 hoses coming out of your beehive or just 2. If there are 4 then you already have an integral exchanger, and those are very effective as long as the engine's cooling system is healthy. That would mean your tranny overheating came from something else, worn-out fluid, overfilled fluid, or problems with engine cooling. If your beehive is 2-port then it's essential to change it to 4-port and add a radiating cooler. Nissan sells a kit for that, but it's pricey. The 4-port hives are readily available on eBay and Amazon, and the aftermarket Hayden and Dana/Tru-Cool kits are just as effective and much cheaper (albeit at the price of an extra hour or so of labor).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rectangle Operating system Font Screenshot Parallel

Similar error was with my friends Altima because of his CVT was replaced before he bought car. You need good ECU diagnost, he repaired this problem with just right firmware.

First of all photo your CVT model and check with VIN, is it factory or it was replaced before you.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Similar error was with my friends Altima because of his CVT was replaced before he bought car. You need good ECU diagnost, he repaired this problem with just right firmware.

First of all photo your CVT model and check with VIN, is it factory or it was replaced before you.
Firmware might have helped before it overheated, but CVT-A/CVT-B hold an overheat record that the dealer evidently read. If they're non-0, then the trans has been cooking and won't be trustworthy. Firmware won't fix that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts