Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m pretty sure I posted here before but anyway I’ll try again. So I picked up a 05 se-r that I would love to restore/build. It had horrible valve cover gaskets and plug seals so I decided to replace them along with plugs, coils, pcv valve, upper and lower plenum manifold gaskets, complete oil change and new oil pan. Car ran great before just def needs timing guides and tensioner and I’m going to do the gallery gaskets while in there. After I did this “tune up” the car still starts right up but now smokes from the exhaust. I’ve confirmed it’s not the pcv valve itself, but I also changed the pcv hoses between the two valve covers and the one from valve cover back to air box. The hose I used to replace them seems like it mayb a little bigger and kinda stiff so somewhat kinks but not enough to block flow I don’t think. If air is getting into these hoses from being lose it would act like a vacuum leak and affect idle and not cause smoke correct? I bought most of the parts as a kit and am wondering if possibly there is a defect in one or both valve covers possibly causing pcv leak inside valve cover? The car didn’t smoke the least bit before well mayb a little on startup or WOT from leaking plug seals but seals are no longer leaking. Anyone have any ideas on what or how I can check for cause? I know stuck injector could also cause smoke from exhaust but I do t really seem to smell fuel anymore than normal and the car seems to run normal besides constant smoke. It’s not super heavy once warmed up but still heavy enough that it’s not right and would love to get her figured out so I can either move forward with build or source new engine as I’m not much fir parts darts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure the PCV hoses are all connected properly. With engine running at idle, remove the PCV valve from rocker cover. A properly working valve makes a hissing noise as air passes through it. A strong vacuum should be felt immediately when a finger is placed over valve inlet.

Is the smoke white or blue? If it's white smoke, smell the exhaust; if it has a somewhat sweet smell, that's an indication of a possible blown head gasket. Blue smoke is an indication of oil burning; if the PCV system is not working correctly, it can cause blue smoke out the exhaust.

Consider installing the correct PCV hoses. The OEM hose inside diameter is metric; you may have gotten universal US SAE hoses which are not metric thus the loose fit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts