1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made an account.

To start, my Altima: 2002, Super Black :cool:, 2.5 S
And I hail from Alabama the Beautiful. :rolleyes:

Now then, 'bout to drop a bomb. It's a long one.

My parents leased it brand new in summer '02. I loved it. (massive improvement over our early '90s Taurus) When the lease was soon to run out in '06, I was 15 and decided I wanted it as my first car. My parents kept it for me, and we all lived happily ever after, blah blah.

Still love the car. For a while however (past couple years) it's had an intermittent rough idle. (I'm calling sub 1500-1700 rpm an idle at the moment) For the most part though, she ran like silk. (save the heater not being effective, more on that in a bit)

Since it ran perfectly for the most part I went about driving as usual.

So, in the past week on two separate occasions the idle got so rough it stalled, once at a stop sign, second at a traffic light. Cranked right back up, but I decided that's really not good and had a diagnostic ran.
(Yes. I paid $80 at the dealer. Sucks.)

... Blown head gasket! Woot! So apparently, not only can head gaskets blow violently, bringing the fault to your immediate attention; they can also, ever so slowly, leak coolant into the engine over several years and allow the engine to run just fine most of the time! This explains the heater being irreparable. The infinite amount of air that couldn't be burped out of the system wasn't air; it was exhaust! This also explains having to dump another liter of water in the radiator every month. (yeah, thought that was normal... ish...)

So... That's my intro! What's up?

I'm here for some advice, but that's another post. This one's long enough, and I've got class in the morning. :)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Welcome, sorry to hear of your recent problems how are things today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'd read up on crank and cam sensors failing and figured that's the news I'd get after the diag. Would have never guessed the head gasket was leaking.

Otherwise, everything going pretty well. I live in a dorm so I don't have to drive it, I'm sure some gasket sealer can handle the what little driving I'll do before I get it fixed.

What has me paranoid is that the pre-cat in the header is apparently a time bomb.
Gotta get rid of that thing!

Again though, no biggie. Gotta stay cooped up in my dorm to cram for finals anyway. ;)

I figure you guys would have me take any discussion on my car to the 3rd gen forum now, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts